Top 10 Beauty Subscription Favorites for 20134:08 AM
Another year has passed and this year I had beauty subscriptions to Birchbox, Ipsy, Beauty Army, Sample Society, Starlooks, Wantable, Fortune Cookie Soap and Glamour Doll Eyes. From nail box subscriptions it was Julep and Square Hue. I have a plethora of samples and full size products from these companies and some I loved while others I didn't care for. Here's my top 10 that I loved so much that I either repurchased it as a full size or plan on purchasing.
Beauty Protector Protect & Detangler from Birchbox. Retail: $21.95
Here's what I posted about it back in May:
I wish there was more information on the Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle. I actually like this product, I've used it up and at first didn't think I'd buy it but now I'm considering buying it because I like the smell which lasts a very long time. A few nights ago I sprayed it into my hair after a shower before bed, used a wide tooth comb and let my hair air dry. The next morning my hair was still smelling of the Beauty Protector product and it lasted all day. It was a bit distracting because I found myself playing with my hair just to get a whiff of it. lolI did eventually buy a full size bottle using my Birchbox points but it came leaking and around 1/2 empty but Birchbox sent me a replacement for it which I've been using since. Looks like I'll be reordering this soon since I probably have about an ounce left. Love the smell, love how it detangles my hair. I still hate the price since $21.95 for an 8 oz bottle is on the pricey side but it works well for me.
INEKE Hothouse Flower Perfume from Beauty Army. Retail: $95
I'm obsessed with this perfume. I selected it in February from Beauty Army and honestly at first wasn't happy that one of my selections was a perfume since I'm not a big perfume wearer and find many perfumes trigger my migraines. Needless to say this is not one of those perfumes that triggers a migraine and I've been obsessed with it since. I was able to select it again in March and then used the Buy/Sell/Trade forum on MakeupTalk to get my hands on three more vials.
I've used up two and there's a drop or two left in the third bottle and I'm now hoarding the last two vials. I want to buy this perfume so much but at $95 I have to save up to splurge on this perfume otherwise I'll feel absolutely guilty if I used any other money for it. I think I may get it for my birthday later this year since it's a milestone birthday.
Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner from Birchbox. Retail: $11
I received several full size from Birchbox Bloggers and I received a black sample size in my May Birchbox. I also ended up ordering a couple more because I really liked these eyeliners (especially Saletii which is a charcoal gray color). I found that the liners were pigmented nicely, applied smoothly and lasted hours. Saletii is still my favorite color for a teen now if only I can convince my youngest to use it more frequently than the black liquid liners she loves so much.
skyn ICELAND Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels from Beauty Army and Ipsy. Retail: $30
I selected these in my January, February and March Beauty Army boxes and these also came in my September Ipsy bag. I LOVE these eye gels, hate the price but love the eye gels.
I found that these work really well when I'm really tired and have bags under my eyes. It was cooling on the skin and it tightened the area under my eyes (temporarily) . I've been meaning to buy these but $30 for 8 pairs has the cheapskate side of me cringing at the price and so I keep putting off ordering it. I'm eventually going to break down and purchase it. (Come on Birchbox! Get Skyn Iceland to become partners!)
NOYA Lip Balms from Ipsy. Retail: $3.99
I didn't get any of these in my Ipsy August Glam Bag but NOYA was kind to provide me with all four flavors. While I did like three of the four the one I really liked was the Vanilla flavored one. To me the vanilla flavored one smelled like a yummy cupcake and it's definitely one I really like. Now if they sell a strawberry-lemonade flavor one I'd be all over it.
Jesse's Girl Waterproof Eyeliner from Ipsy. Retail: $6.99
While we didn't get these in our September Ipsy Glam Bags, Jesse's Girl sent two of my daughters and self this particular eyeliner. For a drugstore eyeliner marker I have to say it's pretty good and one I will purchase again in the future.
Kat loves this particular liner and has subsequently stolen mine. It lasts all day long, is smudge proof and budge proof on her. The downside is that it's a wee bit of a pain to completely remove if we don't use an eye makeup remover meant for waterproof products.
I would love to see this come in brown and gray maybe even in some bright colors like purple, green and blue.
Beautyblender from Ipsy. Retail: $19.95
Ok to be honest and fair I did not get one from Ipsy for myself, I already owned these in the past and repurchased these in late September or early October but I did use my Ipsy points to "purchase" it for a Secret Santa gift. I LOVE my Beautyblender and I knew the person I was sending this to had never used a Beautyblender before so I had to pass my love of Beautyblenders on.
"Sally" Fortune Cookie Soap from Fortune Cookie Soap. Retail: $3.49
Out of all the items in the Nightmare Before Christmas box the only item that really stood out for me was the "Sally" Fortune Cookie Soap.
I'm in love with this scent. It's clean, it's fresh and it does smell like clean linen. It's actually described as, "Fresh breezes fluttering white cotton, dry cracking leaves, held together by twine." I ended up ordering two bars of this instead of another Fortune Cookie Soap.
Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Mini Body Butter from Ipsy. Retail: $7
I ended up enjoying this fragrance and at one point had filled my cart on Pacifica's site with nothing buy Tuscan Blood Orange products. I ended up not pulling the trigger at the Pacifica site and am regretting not getting a full size tube. My local Target is always sold out of this particular scent but one day I will be purchasing it... or at the very least a few candles with this scent. Yum!
Cinema Secrets Hollywood Lights Glitz from Wantable. Retail: $7.50
Thanks to LIT Cosmetics and Eye Kandi I've been such a glitter convert. I live for glitter just wish I had more occasions to wear it since let's face it, glitter on a daily daytime basis is not entirely practical, fun but not practical. Regardless, glitter is fun and one can never have too much glitter.
Other items I liked but didn't make my Top 10...
- Glamour Doll Eyes OTM (pretty much all of the colors sent out). The only reason these didn't make my Top 10 is because the vast majority of colors are not available outside the OTM bags. I wish these colors were at least available the following month from the OTM it appeared in to give us a chance to buy more of a favorite color. There were a couple of months, that didn't become a permanent color, that I would love to get another jar of the shade because it's so pretty but alas I can't. Loved the blushes sent out as well as the shadows but I really wish that the OTM colors were available for sale outside the OTM. Oh well, can't have it all!
- Mirabella Color Sheers from Ipsy. Loved the lipsticks colors but honestly between the Color Sheers and the Mirabella Pretty & Provocative I'd pick the P&P lipsticks any day but so far Ipsy and Mirabella haven't paired up to send those particular lipsticks.
- Pacific Coconut Crushed Pearl from Ipsy. I didn't get their particular luminizing lotion but one of my daughters did and I never could convince her to trade it with me. Love the scent.
- ModelCo Party Proof lipstick in Peony from Birchbox. Loved the color, loved the scent hated that it did not live up to being "party proof". In fact even the lettering on the tube came off easily in my hands. While I loved the color and scent it just didn't live up to my expectations but even so I would probably buy more of these lipsticks but I'm either going to have to use Birchbox points or wait for a really good sale.
- LASHES! from J.Cat Beauty, Andrea Lashes, Ardell Lashes and Salon Perfect in Ipsy. I'm a lash fiend and how could I forget to add lashes to my list?! I have bought lashes from all the companies Ipsy sent out in 2013 and I'll continue to buy lashes.